- Your privacy is important to us, and we are also required to comply with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GPDR)
- This privacy notice sets our your rights and our obligations to you
- This notice applies to our website and your membership benefits, if applicable.
Who we are?
We are the Oscar Wilde Society. Founded in 1990, The Oscar Wilde Society is a literary society devoted to the congenial appreciation of Oscar Wilde. It is a nonprofit making organisation which aims to promote knowledge, appreciation and study of Wilde’s life, personality, and works. It organises lectures, readings, and discussions about Wilde and his works, and visits to places associated with him. The Society’s peer-reviewed Journal of Oscar Wilde Studies, The Wildean, is published twice a year. The illustrated Newsletter Journal Intentions is published about four times a year and members also receive E-Newsletters giving information about Society and public events.
Our contact details are here.
Our Data Protection Officer is Libby Murphy.
What information do we collect?
The types of personal information we collect are names, addresses, telephone numbers and email addresses.
- We collect your data when you sign up for membership of the Society.
- We do not collect data from third parties.
- Any financial data is handled by the Treasurer, John Stratford.
How do we use personal information?
- To manage your membership of the Society, including subscription renewal reminders.
- To contact you about Society events.
- Your postal address is used to send our physical publications, Intentions and the Wildean.
- Your email address is used to send our e-newsletter.
What legal basis do we have for processing your personal data?
We have your details by consent (one of the grounds set out by the GDPR).
As we rely on your consent to hold data you may withdraw this at any time, and we will remove your details from our database.
When do we share personal data?
We treat personal data confidentially and will never sell, or otherwise disclose this to a third party.
Where do we store and process personal data?
Our membership data is collated on an Excel spreadsheet. It is controlled by our Membership Secretary.
This is shared with other Officers of the Society as appropriate. This is stored on private computers in the UK.
How long do we keep your personal data for?
We keep your personal data for the duration of your membership of the Society, plus up to 6 months to allow renewal, and for us to contact you to remind you about renewal.
If your membership lapses we will contact you to let you know. If you do not respond we will delete your information after 6 months.
The exception is that your email address may be retained on our email e-newsletter list. If you do not wish to continue to receive this, please let us know.
We will also delete your information at any point when we are asked to.